I apologize to those who read the last post last night and were wondering when the part 2 is going to follow although I am pretty sure even though my blog has a few followers they are not that punctual and faithful :)
Anyways.. in order to re-simulate the atmosphere that was when I started my last blog day before yesterday night, Fossils 2 plays on my ipod, the song - Tritio Bishwo. However it is not necessarily the urge to write a sequel to the first chapter of the epic that I thought I would write that led me to sit up at an un-earthly hour to write a blog. What did ? Well some memories actually... some old emails, letters and songs .. that suddenly went across my mind, almost like a rapid eye movement sequence..
But before I do that let me complete the references I had started with in the last blog.
I spoke about the comment and the email. So what is left are the two blogs.
The first blog is by someone I probably cannot do justice by trying to describe on this blog and trust me folks.. THAT says a lot. The blog has only a few entries. The style is not very different from mine, which is why I guess we became such good friends almost five years back. But in those five years I have only been amazed by really how very similar we were, in the way we saw things, judged people, understood situations and acted (or in some case reacted or did not act). I remember the first correspondence we shared. It spoke about a window through which sunshine tried to enter but a child was trying to close the window in order to stop it because it felt it would get hurt by the sunshine.
It was meant for me to decipher. At that moment I was amazed as to how by just knowing someone for a month one could reach to conclusion so perfect as that and write it in such a way that would hit the nail right on the head and yet would be almost indecipherable for others. What I went on to realize later was that letter did not only talk about the subject of the letter. It said almost the same thing about the author of the letter. And a few days back when I read the blog I realised, sunshine has entered the room but is still trying to find the child inside who keeps shying away from it, trying to find every corner that can help to hide from it.
Sometime, year before last year, when I had just finished watching Little Miss Sunshine, I had a weird smile on my face that my friends hated. What I was smiling about was how apt was the name, for the author of the blog. A smile still forms across my lips when I think about it and all the other names that could be so apt including Dee Dee. This paragraph is a salute to one of the best support systems I have ever seen and a written acknowledgement that this blog and these words would never really be up on the internet unless you had let the sunlight in that day five years ago. Keep writing. Its way better than me. For those who did not understood this last paragraph, ignore it. If you are interested to read the blog that I mentioned, find it.
The other blog, is written by another lazy blogger like me. Someone whom I do not know in person and actually neither virtually but only know of the existence through a comment made on my blog. The comment had a website alongwith it and following it led me to blog that did smell as if it had not been maintained for sometime. Almost like a Les Paul that had dust on it and was left in the corner of the room for about 5 years....(That was just a comparison. Not an actual data for I forgot see the date of the last post but I think it was this year :) ) But when I read a specific post it made me realise it is really a Les Paul. The tone is sharp only the strings just a little rusty.
This post actually talked about how other people write blogs and how every person is motivated to write. The author actually added hyperlinks of the examples (although I doubt if she read others of the same kind) of the blogs that she was typifying. What made me like it was the fact that it was actually an honest account of why bloggers write blogs. And that one feeling made all this come together. The comment made my friend, the email and the two blogs... it made me ask and answer the question that I used to once ask myself and I am sure a lot of you - who only read but eventhough your mind tells you that you can actually write, have never really gathered the motivation or patience to sit down and write - would also ask yourself or me...
Why write a blog ? or simpler still - What is a blog ?
Unlike most of the other times when I define a word as the way it is supposed to be, I would not even try to define what a blog is. All of you would probably know its origin. For those who dont, check it up. But before I try to define what it is in my words I would reiterate that these are my personal opinions. If you differ with them fair enough.
A blog to me is almost like a diary of sorts. I stopped writing a diary after the final year of MSc. I think. Well actually no. I think I stopped after the summer of the first year of MSc. But quite uncannily that is around the time I started blogging regularly. So for me, even though the posts dont really start with Dear Diary (Yesssss.. I did write like that and yes.. I did that till First Year of Masters.. and no you cant have a peek in it because for most of you it might seem a whole load of pseudophilosophical b.s.), the posts are very similar. Earlier when I used to write the diary it would mostly be written on a level, by keeping a specific person in mind. And probably the length and tone of each diary entry could be compared and classified and from it understood how or what I felt about a certain incident, person or emotion. Now, when I write the blog, it is never directed towars a certain person, incident or emotion. Maybe, and only a few times, around them, but never directed "only" towards them. What that does is give the blog a more complex feel. Because now, when I write I dont imagine a certain person reading it. I imagine a number of people reading it. Now since my mind has a mind of its own, it normally tries to find out what would make a certain person laugh/cry/react after reading a certain line. Earlier that would be okay because it was only one person. But now its an infinite number (or so I make myself think !! :) ) and so my mind's mind gives up, which leaves my mind's mind's mind to give up. This leaves my mind's mind to determine that it should only concentrate on my mind and thus my mind simply concentrates on itself. And thats what comes out as a blog. My mind minding its own business.
I probably can go into how much of an emotional release the blog is and can probably also refer to the incident when one of my readers to which I had referred in one of my old blogs actually called me up to say how grossly incorrect I was in my judgement of his/her personality and how that reference would prove that my blog does hit at some places hard, and I can also continue to keep elongating my sentences till I reach James Joyce's standards after which I would promptly lose my own 'consciousness' in the 'stream' of words that I now type only to stop ... now....but I wont.
Because my ipod has stopped playing any more songs. The last three song it played was among my favorite Bengali Songs Ever. Sashti, Acid and 29shey October, all by Fossils. I remember the time in my final year of undergraduate college, two of my closest friends and myself would sing these songs in my room after lunch. It wasnt really singing. It was three voices, trying to shout as loud as they can, along with the tape that played these in full volume. A fourth song was also in the playlist. Care kori na by Lokkhichara. Anyone who has heard these would probably find no connection in the lyrics or the musical genre of the songs but we did.
And it is these connections that we write about. All of us who do write. Once again my usage of the term we is by no means to be interpreted as a common united voice. What you read is my idea of what other writers would also be thinking and it may be so that they may not think that at all. But I like to think that way :)
There are some bloggers who regularly keep writing on the same topic continuously. I have read a few on the fields of science. Trust me they are good. And most of them are really well qualified to provide that kind of a perspective to modern science. Similar blog exists on humourous aspects of science, history, geography, psychology and neuroscience, popular culture, music and other form of artistic expression, economics and politics, literature and language and basically almost everything under the sun. And then there are some other bloggers, like me who really dont have a field or forte. They write because they want to. They dont write to serve as a travel guide or Emotional Weekly for others. They definitely dont write to give others one liners to brag about. Its like a ventilator to all that requires an expression. To all that cant be always said (and for people like me who can not say most of the things.. everything). This page, not necessarily resembles who they are, but more often than not, it does answer how and why they are.
I stop and publish this post not because I have nothing more to write. But because I think if I continue writing in this blog people who STILL have not lost their interest would now do so. So here goes the last full stop. but wait. Do read the next one ..........!
No comments:
Post a Comment