This is a short post.
I was just so greatly enthusiastic about a certain band and another certain song (by a different band) that I had to write it.
The band is Porcupine Tree. My classification of this band would be Pink Floyd with a more metal tone. But trust me guys. Its actually not doing justice to their full potential if I simply describe them as 'like' some other band. So the above statement is only an explanation of why I like them so much but if you hear them and if you have the patience to hear through their 9-13 minutes of absolutely awesome progressive solos.. you would probably realise how brilliant their music really is.
In Indian Classical music, actually in all indian classical jugalbandis there is a certain period of the rendition in which the instrumentalist keeps increasing his speed up by one notch and the percussionist simply plays cycles of beats.. going up by one each time. Almost everyone would know and notice the increase in the speed but only very avid listeners would be able to catch the beginning of the cycle. These guys have incorporated something similar in their sound.
I would definitely be writing more about them soon. But not in this post. As I said this post is a short one.
The other song that I am currently listening to, over and over again, and yet I cant seem to get enough of it is Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones. Its not like I had not heard the song before. But one specific version of the song made me look back at it in awe. It had like a 2 minute long guitar solo and it was brilliant. I actually was working in the lab when I heard the song. I couldnt remember what it was and after some point of time the guitar sound simply engulfed me. At the end of the song, I put down the flask that I was workign with, went to the other room where the song was played and realised it was this song. Since then I have been hearing this song and trust me guys if you just hear the original version you would want to hear it more and would probably curse Jagger for not lengthening the song, a feeling I still have whenever I hear All Along the Watchtower (The Dylan or the Hendrix version... personally I dont like the other ones. )
Anyways.. with those two thoughts I end here..
Take it easy folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment